Wednesday, December 4, 2013

DPP Day 4

I have made it to day 4.  If I am being honest, I wondered when I wrote that first post if it might be the last for another couple years!  The real reason that this blog is getting any attention is that I am seeing the benefits to my mental health.  At 3 o'clock today, Rich called me to tell me that he had to go to Florida tonight so that he would be there by 9am tomorrow morning.  I was teaching a class from 4-5pm and I have to leave before 5 to make it to kid pick up before 6.  It shoved me into a full on panic mode.  What I have found is that having 4 kids, a full time job, and a husband that has a job that has travel that comes up at the last minute is not for the faint of heart.  I feel like I spent a significant percentage of my life creating plan b, plan c, and disaster planning mode.  After a week of unexpected unpleasantries, this was a bit of a last straw.  I had a meltdown.  Tears, panic, and feelings of complete and utter inadequacy.  My meltdown was premature because the upside to living here in the middle of the Midwest - you can't get anywhere that quickly!  So someone else had to go.  Phew!  To ease my stress, I stayed and worked longer than normal.  Rich, in his ever supportive style, got the kids fed and Elizabeth off to basketball practice. 

Well, technically, Ben got everyone fed.  He was proud of it.  He made peanut butter and jelly for all three kids, fruit, and some raw veggies with dip.  He served it up with some formality.  When Elizabeth commented that he poured her too much milk, he calmly stated, "Excuse me miss, I need to take this back into the kitchen for a moment."   This was a fun side to see of Ben.  It wouldn't be something I would expect from him which only makes me love it even more. 

Today I am thankful for:

1.  Supportive co-workers that don't freak out when I cry.  (Thanks Patty!)
2.  The after dinner scramble for picking a few pieces of Halloween candy.
3.  My mommy being by back up day care for the last few days.  I want SO badly to be the one snuggling my little ones when they don't feel well or are home from school or day care.  But if I can't be there, I love knowing they have their grandma to do some good snuggling and spoiling!
4.  A day with no meetings tomorrow!!
5.  My crazy life. . .every day I take a moment to realize that some of my greatest aggravations are followed by my greatest joys.  My greatest frustrations precede some of my greatest triumphs.  Despite all the chaos, all the crazy, and all the struggle - I wouldn't change any of it for the world.  My heart is full!

Today's photo choices. . .
Stealing from Mom's take out.

The candy bowl attack!


"Mommy, can you open this for me?"

Getting responsibilities done.

Keeping watch.
And the winner is:

Daddy's Girl
If today taught me nothing else, it reminded me how much I love and need this man.  He has gotten totally on board with this photo project and took K from me so that I could get the candy bowl picture.  It was his suggestion to get the picture of Brandon asking me to open his candy.  He is a great daddy, a supportive hubby, and an all around good dude.  And just look at how intently K is watching him move the toy.  She adores him.  So when I looked up from the candy bowl picture, how could I not take this one?

2 comments:

Kenneth Nash Jr. said...

You're doing a fine job, madame!

Much love from the Carolinas!

Ken Jr.

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet post. You and your husband are amazing people with amazing children. Keep being awesome!
--Jeanette