Sunday, December 29, 2013

DPP Posting - Christmas Chaos Style. . .

I got all backed up with the hustle and bustle of the Christmas season.  Nothing like having kids of your own to appreciate the time and energy that your parents put into the Christmases of your childhood.  This post will likely be long on its own so I will just write a little by each picture instead of much here at the beginning.  :)  Even though I wasn't posting, I was still taking photos!

Day 18
I got to go up to Ben's school for a Parent Partner day.  I had planned to send my mom as she did this with Elizabeth.  But my sweet and sensitive Benjamin says to me, "But mom, when Elizabeth was in first grade you came up to school all the time.  Now you never come and I want you to come today."  So Ben got both his mom and his Omom.  He had a fair argument.  I was glad I did get to go. It was quite the spectacle.  Ben's decorating style was how much candy can you put on one plate.  He made a cool sled out of a graham cracker and candy canes and a heart shaped doorway out of two candy canes.  He would not allow anyone to help.  He was very proud of his creation that was all his own.

Day 20

These are my friends Darwin and Tom.  Both are co-workers at UNMC with me.  December 20th was graduation day for our students.  We sent another class of physician assistants out into the work force.  This class was the first class that I was on faculty for their didactic year.  It might be the best part of the job to see the transformation that occurs from entry into the program to the polished professionals that exit.  For 15 years, Tom has been instrumental in that transformation.  This picture was taken at his retirement party.  He will be missed.  He taught me and many, many others!  Enjoy Colorado, Tom!

Day 21
Christmas at Grandmas house!  We had a really fun night hanging out with the Hoffman side.  The kids all had a ball opening presents and then getting to hang out together to play with them.  Brandon got to work with Rob and Billie to create a kitty cat mosaic.  He loved that one on one time.  Rich and Barb worked together to fix Barb's computer. . .it wouldn't be a holiday without Rich fixing someone's computer.  Well, really, it wouldn't be a weekend without Rich fixing someone's computer.  ;)  Grandma held in there really well for having had back surgery a few weeks before but she was weary by the end of the night.  She, as always, was a gracious hostess and spent way too much on all of us.  All in all, it was a fantastic evening full family, giving, playing, eating, and chatting.
The "kids table"

Multitasking. . .

Grandma's magic touch.
I had a hard time choosing for this day but couldn't resist the sleeping baby.  :)

Day 22
My Little Old Men
Day 23

Loving playtime (and her feet!)

In such a rush to come help - who has time for pants!?!?

Delivery Time. . .
Day 24
Christmas Eve.  One of my favorite nights of the year.  Full of tradition.  Beef tenderloin with béarnaise sauce for our meal.  Decorating of Christmas cookies to leave for Santa.  Singing Christmas carols. . .always ending with Silent Night and some reflection on the true meaning of Christmas.  What a gift.  The older I get, the more I appreciate what a sacrifice it must have been for God to send his only Son, to be tempted, tried, and tortured and all for our benefit.  To close the chasm that sin had created between us and our Heavenly Father.  What a gift.  Silent night, holy night, all is calm, and all is bright.

Jingle Bells - the creative version. . .

And the stockings were hung ....
Day 25 - MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
Blessings abound. . .
Day 26
Ben helping to feed baby K.  He was so proud!
Day 27 - Happy Anniversary to my mom and dad!!  48 years of wedded bliss - well, mostly bliss.  :)  They have such a fun relationship to watch - most of the time.  All those smooches are gross when you're their kid. 
Painting while his siblings have playdates.
Day 28 - Happy Anniversary to Rich and me!  :)  We have been married 12 years and I have to say that it has gone so fast.  I love my time with Rich and I love this life that we have built together.  I truly believe this man was made for me.  He is a perfect balance of my imperfections and I am a good balance to his.  He is a ton of fun and I truly enjoy each day with him.  He makes me laugh (usually while I am rolling my eyes) everyday.  What I am most surprised by after 12 years, is that I continue to find things about him that I didn't know were there and it usually only makes me love him more. Sorry for all the gushy - but he is really THAT great.  We celebrated by going to Brad's 40th Birthday Party!  Brad is like family to us - so much so that he is Uncle Blad to my kiddos.  It was great to get to spend our evening celebrating such a great guy!

Today's picture is totally unrelated but it was the only picture I took all day!

Mom and her littles. . .
Day 29

A lazy Sunday morning - complete with hot cocoa that was a gift from my sweet friend Patty.  It was as delicious as she promised it would be.  It was even more delicious because we whipped up some homemade whipped cream and sprinkled chocolate chips on top.  The kids were big fans!  They didn't even noticed that I was out of marshmallows!



 
The December Photo Project was only supposed to go until Christmas Day.  I went a few days beyond and missed a few days in the middle.  I really loved the time spent reflecting and noticing the small moments.  I didn't love the one extra thing on my mind of something to do.  I make no promises as I know how busy life gets in the Spring semester at work - but I hope to throw a blog up now and then to remind me to stop and enjoy this wonderful life we are experiencing. . .even if it does feel like we are at warp speed and hanging on for dear life!  To those who have been following this, sending me nice notes of encouragement, saying nice things when I see you, and leaving me comments on Facebook.  I am flattered and humbled.  Thanks for going along on this ride with me. 
May your 2014 bring your joy!

No comments: