Tuesday, December 16, 2014

DPP2014 Day 15

Let's see if I have one more day of blogging in me.  I only took one picture today - so it was easy to make a selection.  And if the truth is being told - I grabbed my camera and looked around for something to catch my eye.  I didn't stage this.  The two items are displayed on my file cabinet in our main family room.  I love them both and I love that you can see the top of Katherine's kicky boots.  The Santa Claus was painted in 1976 in the basement of my grandparent's house where they ran a ceramics shop and gave classes.  I have many fond memories or going to Grandpa and Grandma's house and getting to pick something to paint.  Oh the big plans I would have for that item - but considering the fact that I have no artistic ability - it never turned out quite as my mind's eye had seen it.  This Santa Clause had center stage on the mantle when I was growing up - and so I am happy to have him in our home.  Once we can return plants to the floor, he will sit upon our mantle.  (Plants must remain high on the mantle or risk their dirt being removed one toddler handful at a time).  The second item is the canvas that E made as a Thank you for our trip to Florida.  Quite the contrast from my memory of the ceramic shop.  I am completely devoid of artistic talent but E seems to have a knack for it!  She is always creating amazing things.  So, since all of my usual subjects are in bed - here is today's selection. 
 
 
A fun story from today:
            It has been a bit trying around the Hoffman house since our trip to Florida.  The children are reluctantly settling back into routine - but not without a bit of a struggle.  Anyone with kiddos will know the days I am talking about.  When a simple, "let's work on your spelling" won't do the trick like it usually does.  On these days, it usually takes 5 or 6 requests and perhaps the threat of a consequence before they consider it worthy of their attention.  Today, I had hit my limit.  A few days I can work with while they return to normalcy but we are nearly a week out - so I have decided they may have some bad habits.  Now, most days, I approach my children with firm boundaries in a very matter of fact but loving way.  Today, I opted to play the Santa card instead of utilizing some reasonable parenting strategies.  Just in case any one was considering me for mom of the year, they can be assured that I am not worthy.  I came home to the children (for five days running now) having ignored their homework - it was time to go to piano lessons so there was no time for it now.  It was time to leave and despite the leaving countdown and requests for shoes on, still no one had complied.  So in my infinite wisdom (i.e. pathetic desperation), I approached our Elf on the Shelf.  Knowing he would head to report to Santa tonight - I requested that he have Santa cancel the Hoffman family stop as surely the children were on the naughty list at this point.  Now - this passive aggressive maneuver is not only unattractive but maybe just down right mean.  So I should regret it. . . but I don't.  It was amazing - those kiddos got their shoes on and jump in the car within 2 minutes.  That, my friends, is what we call positive reinforcement for the unattractive maneuver and another reminder as to why Santa /HAS/ a naughty and nice list.
             As an added benefit, once I reached the car with Katherine, I received apologies from all three "bigs".  And not the reluctant, "Sorry, mom" accompanied by the eye roll but the "Mom, I am so sorry" accompanied by the hug.  The drive to piano was serenaded by Ben and Brandon composing their own Christmas Carol.  Here are the lyrics that I can remember,  "You better listen to your parents, be nice, and tell your mom you are sorry.  Be kind to your brothers and sisters, do your responsibilities, and put your shoes on the first time you are asked.  OOOOOOOOORRRRR Santa won't come."  What started as a frustrating arrival home, turned into laughter and fun.  Don't tell them just yet - but they really are good kids.   :)
 
 
 
 


No comments: