Monday, December 21, 2015

Day 21 - Reunion

Well - this is how we ended the day. . . which was far more fun than how we began it.  :)  Snuggles with Ben always seem to end in tickles. . . .maybe because snuggles are all too much holding still.  And while I love snuggles - I love Ben's spirit even more - so I adapt.  He is big into "not being ticklish" now.  The look on his face is priceless.  He is trying so hard to hold it in!  Brandon is hiding - knowing his turn is next. 



Today started with a trip to the orthodontist.  A Monday and an orthodontist trip - that seems a bit extreme.  Lucky for us - we really like Elizabeth's orthodontist.  Today was just a lot of imaging.  We will hear in a couple weeks what is in store for her teeth.  I am not sure who is dreading it more.


The lack luster day continued for Ben and Elizabeth with a trip to Mom's work.  They did great - well, as well as any two kids could do being confined to a small office without much to do.  We had planned to go ice skating at UNMC when we finished up - and we walked over to do so and they were closed.  The disappointment was almost more than Ben could bear.  So now I have to remember that I promised him an ice skating or roller skating trip coming up here soon. 

So when we arrived home - they were both ready to do some things that interested them.  And I just stayed out of their way.  I still had work to do and I figured they had earned it. 

But tonight was a really special night.  We got to meet Asher - Nanny Erin's sweet baby boy.  Nanny Erin was our nanny when I first went to work at UNMC.  She is the best!  All of the kiddos love her and Rich and I are big fans too.  We would have kept her for our nanny forever - but she is doing great work as a nurse and we are so proud of her.  Though - Elizabeth was trying to recruit her back.

 Asher is the sweetest little thing.  He is handsome and snuggly.  I got to have lots of baby snuggles with none of the sleepless nights.  It was perfect.  He is perfect.  I was able to hold him so that Nanny Erin could eat a meal while it was hot -- mostly because I remember that being such a luxury at that stage of life.  Erin is such a great mama - like we knew she would be.  It is so fun to watch her enter this new phase of life.  One that I know she will excel at.  Asher is one lucky dude to have her for a mama. 

 
One funny story:  Ben, at dinner, began asking questions.  A true sign of a family that is VERY comfortable with breastfeeding. . . Ben simply stated, "So - does Asher eat food or just drink milk from your boobs?"  He then proceeded to tell Nanny Erin a story about when Brandon was a baby and tried to nurse Ben. I am surprised he remembered that - but I guess that would leave an impression on a guy.  We all had a good laugh.  Rich and I also had a moment being thankful that we know Nanny Erin so well.  Ben always has been a kid who tells it like it is.
We miss seeing Nanny Erin every day.  But she will always have a special place in our household - and so will Asher!  (And Jason too - of course.  Rich was SUPER bummed that he wasn't coming for dinner tonight.)  She has had such a positive influence in our lives.  She helped develop the artist in Elizabeth, the athlete in Ben, the charmer in Brandon, and the little mama in Katie.  And for Rich and me - she provided us with the best gift anyone could give - a year of safe, nurturing and wonderful child care and many babysitting nights after that.
We love Nanny Erin and Sweet Asher!
I do admit - I spent about 5 seconds feeling sad to be exiting the new baby phase of life.  But then I realized - now it can be my turn to offer my help to those who are just entering it.  Call us, anytime, Nanny Erin!  We stand ready.  :)

No comments: