Sunday, December 13, 2015

DPP Day 11, 12, and 13

I have a confession. . . .

The busy of this time of year has totally gotten the best of me over the last few days.  I haven't managed it all that gracefully either.  Perhaps I should have taken time to slow down long enough to stop here and post.  Posting here always makes me stop and reflect long enough to realize when I am being sucked into things that do not matter enough to be my focus.  But I am here now!  And despite being frazzled and a bit crazy this weekend - I did take a few pictures.  Not as many as I normally would but a few just the same.  It isn't that I didn't want to - but I just wasn't feeling all that inspired.  Like I said - I was focused on things other than family and making memories.  It should be said that I am ok with the way this weekend went. Sometimes it isn't reasonable to be 100% in the moment and it isn't realistic to invest all of your time and energy into the fun and the interactive.  Sometimes real life just hits you and you have to deal with it.  You have to chip away at the things that have to be done so that you CAN live in the moment and be fun and interactive at other times.  This was one of those weekends.  It was time for us to pay some dues, check some items off the needs to be done list, and allow the children to make their own wonderful memories without our influence.  When I get overwhelmed - I can get quiet (which makes everyone nervous) and sometimes crabby.  Rich is a classic 'fix it' guy.  And he jumps into action whenever he can see some way to make something easier for me.  It is one of those qualities that, even after all these years, makes me feel so undeserving of his love.  Rich is often just too good to be true. . . yet he is completely legit.  This weekend he was in rock star mode.   He spent all day Saturday fighting the holiday crowds to run and gather the things that I couldn't order online.  With his help - I am nearly done shopping.  Yes!  I spent a lot of the weekend baking for delivering to neighbors and teachers -- and he would clean up after me to decrease the time before I could start the next batch.  He also kept the house cleaned up.  I. am. spoiled. 

While my head was lost in stress and worry - there was all kinds of good and wonderful going on around me.  On Friday - I wasn't here writing because I was enjoying a date night with Rich and an impromptu get together of work friends to decompress from the day.  I do have a photo from Friday.  And I love it.  If you remember in the Day 10 blog, I told you that Elizabeth was frantically writing.  Well on Friday morning - she brought me this (you may have to click on it to appreciate it): 
Day 11

It is a story about everyday superheroes.  And she wrote about her entire family.  Melt. My. Heart.  She isn't a kid that is very expressive with any emotion - even sweetness - but that girl has a huge heart.  She is so strong and stoic - that these sweet little gestures really get to me even a smidge more.

Saturday was an exciting day for all.  We only had one basketball game!  And while we LOVE watching our kids play basketball - we also love a low key day with time for other things.  Ben and Elizabeth had friends over all day.  I think the kid count in this house was around 8-10 all day long.  Everyone played famously - even with the littles too.  This allowed Rich to shop and me to bake.



At some point - all the fun and excitement got the best of Brandon.  He just couldn't keep those eyes open anymore.  He napped there for more than an hour with all the crazy playing kids around the entire time.  When you need a nap, you need a nap. 







Katie and I got out a few extra decorations today.  I made an executive decision that I was not getting all our Christmas decorations out.  Saves me time now and in January!  I still need to hunt down the stockings - but other than that - we are keeping it simple.  But today, I realized, we needed a few Nativity scenes out and about.  So we went digging through the tubs to find the best ones.  And because I had a little helper - singing Homer and Singing snowmen had to come out as well. 


I am not entirely sure why this episode of yogurt eating is so very serious.  They were probably tired.  These girls spent the day being playwrites, costume designers, actors, directors, and producers.  They negotiated their roles expertly and avoided fighting at all.  I was sure with an odd number we risked fighting - but they had no issues.  Their little movie is still in production - but it is quite impressive.

Day 12


I just couldn't resist this pic of Brandon peeking out at me from behind that cup.  :)  This will be my submission on the photo challenge page.

And sweet little Katherine - spending her time smiling and chatting rather than eating her lunch.  :)  She knows once she eats her lunch, it is nap time.  And she loves watching the big girls and trying to keep up with them.  She had one line in the movie - and I am not sure what the context is - but her line is "Ouch".  And like any good actor honing their craft, she went around the house saying "Ouch" in many different ways. 







Rich and I both had a short night's sleep last night and we find ourselves exhausted and weary tonight.  We are pretty sure we are ready for a weekend from our weekend - and this weekend was way less scheduled than most!  I spent a lot of time at work today trying to meet a deadline - so I only took one picture worth sharing.  And it is perfect for the way we feel tonight.  I am titling it, "Exhausted".   The sleepover followed by a play date to go swimming with a friend - even Elizabeth can wear out. 

Day 13

Despite feeling exhausted - we feel accomplished and completely grateful.  We are tired because we have spent our weekend thinking of others, spending time with our precious kiddos, and enjoying each other's company.  I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend. 

Tomorrow, I will have to spend some time getting some pictures of sweet Ben.  He was around all weekend - but he and his friends run from house to house, playing football, and being crazy.  They never stop long enough in any one spot for me to grab a picture.  :)

No comments: